Thursday, April 19, 2012

birthday week

Hello, hello! Welcome to my birthday week! Growing up sharing a birthday with my older (by 12 years!) sister has made me somewhat of a birthday diva. Ok, a HUGE birthday diva. I will never forget that when I was little, I once declared: "It's my birthday; I can do whatever I want!" My mom shot that down really quick.

This year is somewhat different. Several months ago, I gathered a few close friends and booked a flight to Washington, DC for the weekend of my birthday. I even got my mom's blessing to "do whatever I want, within reason," which I'm taking as anything not illegal. I flight out this evening, and 2 local friends will join me tomorrow morning. Additionally, my friend Lane is coming in from Philly, friends from Baltimore (where I will be staying tonight) will be down, and, of course, DC-area friends will be joining the festivities!

I have so many exciting things to look forward to, but for tonight, I can't wait to get off the plane and have a glass of Ms. Zabad-Ale, a beer my friend Zach named after me for my birthday! 6.0% Belgian Whit, yummy!

He's punny.
I'm also planning to eat my way across DC, with reservations at Founding Farmers, an all-American, enviro-friendly restaurant; Kinkead's, a seafood brasserie that is like eating art - it's my favorite restaurant ever!; and brunch at The Getaway, which Bitches Who Brunch sold me on by mentioning their $15 bottomless bloodies AND mimosas - you had me at hello.

As for non-alcohol-related activities, I honestly don't have much planned. We have a Capitol tour and possibly a White House Garden tour, but I've done pretty much everything else typically touristy in DC. I'd like to visit the Holocaust Museum, as I've always declined (I'm sensitive). However, this is Lane's first visit, so I'm sure we'll do plenty of sight-seeing! And of course, shopping (we're staying practically on top of the Pentagon City Mall), and a trip to Georgetown Cupcake for my birthday cupcake! I'm sure I'll have plenty to review when I get back, but suffice it to say, I'm so happy to be surrounded by people who love and want nothing less for me this weekend than for me to do WHATEVER I WANT! :)